Sunday, November 24, 2019

Don't take it for granted

If you are fortunate enough to reside in rural area I would like to say, “How lucky for you!”

You, my friend, are among the most fortunate from the point of view of nature. If you've lived there forever it may not be as noticeable, but you are living in a fantasy land of native trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, along with the creatures that live among you.

Now that autumn is coming to a close it is a bit more obvious that the bare limbs are showing their elegance, which is a wonderful experience. While the leaves of deciduous growth have already or are in the process of dropping from the trees you can rest assured that nature is in control.

Those leaves, whether in a forest or your own backyard are enriching the earth for future growth. They decompose into rich soil and loam, ready to be converted by the likes of insects, worms, fungi and millions of bacteria.

When I was a child I remember hearing adults talk about going “out into the woods” to dig some soil or a tree seedling or other small plant. You never heard them say they were going “out in the yard” to do so. Unwittingly they were confirming the fact that trees and other plants make good soil for growing the life that sustains us.

I have recently seen some posts online about leaving the leaves on the ground for the creatures that live there. One in particular has the headline, “These Animals are Made Possible by Fallen Leaves.” It was published by a site called healthyyards.com. I'll share the meme here.

The site encourages more of a co-existence between nature and the mega-poison practice of using poisons and unneeded fertilizers to present a lush, “weed-free” lawn.

Lawn. As a disclaimer I would like to say that, in my earlier years, I was guilty of falling for the practice of the perfect yard. I sprayed, spread and mowed and pruned as a living, providing the perfect yard for others.

At the time I didn't realize the damage I was doing to the environment, not to mention myself. I regularly attended classes on the proper use of pesticides in order to legally apply them to the properties of others.

However, any Tom, Dick or Harry can go down to the local big box store (and some little box stores) and legally purchase a lethal cocktail of these substances to their heart's content.

Uh oh. I've strayed a bit. That subject is for another day.

Anyway, back to the fortunate.

I have many friends who are lucky enough to take the time to explore the trails, streams and waterways of our area. I do envy them. They get to see things that many can only dream of. I do get out from time to time, but only close to home and for short walks in the wooded areas.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area with loads of natural beauty, please don't take it for granted. Let your eyes stray past the roadsides and appreciate the beauty that many merely pass by each day without seeing it.

And if you have the time and ability, get out of the car, or off the porch, and enjoy nature. Don't take it for granted.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog after seeing your comment on Outside Clyde. Do you have any way to be made aware of new posts when you put them up?

    ReplyDelete

Loose Ends

Today is the last day of 2019. It's been a busy week and a half since my last post. One of our sons is in the process of slowly moving...